Changing environment, learning new language and new culture,being a wife and a mother, living far away from families and friends, I have come to share my views, thoughts, feelings, ideas on so many things that I cherish.

September 09, 2011

SHAMPOO (Fashion and Beauty Friday)


Some years back, I got to know about the Dangers of Shampoo from a hair expert Marquetta Breslin. It is unbelievable the kind of chemical we wash our hairs with in the name of shampoo.


Marquetta advised that the next time you make a trip to your local drug store to stock up on bargain shampoo, that you should think twice! Using a poor-quality shampoo can be devastating to your hair's shine and beauty.

Do you know that many "cheap" shampoos contain ammonium laurel sulfate, which is harsh on your hair. It causes dryness,
breakage, and split ends.

Believe it or not, sodium laurel sulphate is a synthetic detergent
generally used in the production of cleansers and dish-washing
liquids. Shampoo manufacturers choose it for its lathering effect,
but in truth it is very harsh and can cause excessive dryness.
Think about it - would you put dish-washing detergent in your hair?
Of course not!

Shampoos containing decyl glucose are gentler and milder in nature
and are a good alternative. I even prefer using a mixture of baking soda and water to wash my hair (which washes the hair and cleanses the scalp stripping off the natural oils.

Ideally, your hair care products should contain essential oils,
herbs and vegetable oils that help to strengthen hair. Rosemary,
ylang-ylang and West Indian bay have essential oils that stimulate
hair growth.

The bottom line is this: Don't skimp on your shampoo and other
hair-care products - go for quality instead. Your hair is worth
the extra cost!

8 comments:

Thomasina said...

I needed this today! I have 4 heads to do (my daughters) and the last shampoo I used left one of their scalps flakey.
I am taking notes on this.

Unknown said...

Interesting post - I don't think I've ever really thought about what is in my shampoo. My hubby is very particular as he has a STRONG sense of smell. He picks them for me. I'll have to mention this to him. Visiting/following from VB.

April

Nekky said...

Thomasina, you can try using baking soda, it works great for me and my daughter.

Unknown said...

I didn't know you could use baking soda, great idea. I guess I will be reading lables now, thanks for the info. Have a great weekend!

Talliana said...

I learned the hard way not to leave the cheap shampoos where my husband could find them. I was shopping on a Sunday and my husband washed my daughter's hair with a cheap shampoo, did not condition and it was a mess when I came home. Now I only leave either Pantene or a Carol's Daughter product in the kid's bath so I know he will not mess with her hair again.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this information Nekky! Very interesting and informative! You are so right! I would not want something that is in dish washing liquid to be used in my hair!:) Take care and have a good week.

May said...

A friend said " This world is coming to an end" still lol! Well i wonder what will happen to us in some couple of yrs to come. One got to be very careful on the type of things we use. Thanks for sharing.

an.Alaskan.mom said...

I love a good bottle of shampoo! Especially for my children. I always watch for those harsh chemicals when buying children's products. My daughter had a sensitivity to petroleum products when she was little and it created painful, red skin - especially chapstics.

Parents Beware!
Great Post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...